TAILORING PERFECT PANTS
Term 2 – 23 April to 7 July 2018
Term 3 – 16 July to 29 September 2018
Term 4 – 8 October to 22 December 2018
Mid-term enrolments may be available. Please contact the college for further information.
Course Session Times
Sessions are run on:
Wednesdays (daytime) – 8.30pm to 4pm (7 hours)
Wednesdays (evening) – 6pm to 9.30pm (3.5 hours)
The course runs as a day or evening course. The day course involves more hours than the evening option.
Students particularly those doing the evening course may require more than one term if they want to learn welt pockets and commercial lining finishes.
Sew a classic interlined flat front or pleated pant with welt pockets, a faced fly and side seam pockets. Students bring a pant calico test garment (“toile”) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with the desired interlinings, linings and pockets. There is no need to complete pockets or lining on the toile. Students may also bring a favourite pant to class and cut a pattern from it.
On enrolment students receive information concerning suitable patterns, and where to source suitable materials. Fine wool, cotton, linen and hemp fabrics are available for order from the college and these options will be made available to students during the first session.
Students may return for a second or further terms if they do not finish their garment in the first term or would like to continue on to make a tailored jacket.
This course includes:
- Analysis of the features of a well fitted pant
- Discussion concerning the technical aspects of interlining techniques and finishes used when constructing a pant
- Plan the students particular design project
- Review material sources and order material through the school if desired
- Receive a personal fitting of the pant toile by our qualified design staff and refine the pattern for personal fit or draft a pattern from a favourite pair of pants
- Practice sew sample pockets and finishes
- Assess the fabric and backing fabrics and plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the pant fabric, interlinings, and linings as applicable
- Mark fabrics, match patterns as appropriate and cut out pant
- Underline pant if applicable
- Insert zipper and fly front
- Sew pocket finishes
- Sew pant to fitting stage and refit the garment
- Sew waistband and finish closures
The course suits advanced sewers. There is a maximum of 8 students per teacher, so all students have the opportunity to receive individual attention and progress at their own pace.