Our tailoring classes will teach you how to achieve a flawlessly fitted pair of pants for women or men, using the workmanship and skills that were once only passed down through generations of master European tailors.
Skill Level: Advanced
Sew a classic interlined flat front or pleated pant with welt pockets, a faced fly and side seam pockets. You'll bring a calico test garment (a “toile”) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with the desired interlinings, linings and pockets.
Classes & Cost
11 weeks / 38.5 hours tuition / $825
Class times are flexible: you can choose from weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings. Some Saturday classes are also available.
Mid-term enrolments are often possible. Please contact us and we'll do our best to fit you in.
For students enrolled in the professional program, longer classes or multiple courses, discounts may apply.
On enrolment you'll receive information concerning suitable patterns and where to source suitable materials. Fine wool, cotton, linen and hemp fabrics are available for order from the college and these options will be made available to you during the first session.
You may return for a second or further terms if you don't finish your garment in the first term or would like to continue on to make a tailored jacket. If you want to make welt pockets or learn the techniques to make commercial linings, you'll almost certainly need to take more than one class.
What You'll Learn
- Analysis of the features of a well fitted pant
- Discussion concerning the technical aspects of interlining techniques and finishes used when constructing a pant
- Plan the students particular design project
- Review material sources and order material through the school if desired
- Receive a personal fitting of the pant toile by our qualified design staff and refine the pattern for personal fit or draft a pattern from a favourite pair of pants
- Practice sew sample pockets and finishes
- Assess the fabric and backing fabrics and plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the pant fabric, interlinings, and linings as applicable
- Mark fabrics, match patterns as appropriate and cut out pant
- Underline pant if applicable
- Insert zipper and fly front
- Sew pocket finishes
- Sew pant to fitting stage and refit the garment
- Sew waistband and finish closures
Please feel free to email or call us on 02 9449 1450 and we'd be happy to provide more information or tailor a program for you.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!