SEWING WORKSHOPS SYDNEY | FASHION DESIGN SHORT COURSES
STRETCH SEWING: T-SHIRT OR CASUAL KNIT TOP SEWING CLASS FOR MEN’S, WOMEN’S & CHILDREN’S GARMENTS
- 10, 11, 13 APRIL 2018
- 3, 4, 6 JULY 2018
- 25, 26, 28 September 2018
- 18, 19, 21 December 2018
This workshop is designed to introduce sewers to stretch sewing techniques using an overlocker and sewing machine to obtain a professional finish. Students will make a T-shirt and learn the edge finishing and sewing techniques required to achieve a professional finish.
Students are given a range of commercial patterns to choose from, including patterns for a basic T-shirt, easy design variations that suit different body shapes, and T-shirts for men and children. It is easier if the sewer is sewing a garment for themselves during the course as fitting stretch fabrics is part of the course.
This course includes:
- Quality equipment selection
- Haberdashery requirements for sewing stretch fabric
- What correct garment fit entails
- Interpretation of the pattern envelope information for stretch fabric
- Taking body measurements
- Adjusting patterns for fit
- Understanding the pattern instructions on the pattern leaflet
- Pattern layout and cutting
Garment construction techniques which may include:
- Stretch seams using an overlocker or sewing machine
- Application of facings, bands and collars for edge finishing
- Twin needle and cover stitch hems.
- Use of fusible interfacing to improve finishes
Student requirements for the first session
Students receive a sheet that lists specific requirements after enrolment. The sheet includes a list of recommended patterns, how to buy the right size and tips on what fabric to select.
Haberdashery requirements may be purchased during the class. The basic requirements are:
- Pattern and fabric
- Thread matching the fabric and any other items like buttons required to make the chosen pattern
- Pen and notebook
- Paper and material cutting scissors
- Basic sewing equipment such as pins and tape measure
Overlockers will be used to sew the T-shirt and students may bring an overlocker (with manual please) if they wish but it is not necessary.
Students should be able to sew a three or four thread overlock seam. It is an advantage to have undertaken our Taming Your Overlocker workshop, but not a prerequisite.
20 hours over 3 days
For more information on this course, please contact our college.