SEWING CLASSES SYDNEY |FASHION DESIGN COURSES
SEW A LEATHER SKIRT USING A HOME SEWING MACHINE
26 July – 23 August 2017
30 August – 27 September 2017
11 October – 8 November 2017
15 November – 13 December 2017
Course Session Times
This course runs for 5 sessions of 3.5 hours per week for 5 weeks.
Sessions are run on:
Tuesday mornings – 8.30am to 12pm
Wednesday afternoons – 12.30pm to 4pm
Wednesday evenings – 6pm to 9.30pm
Sew a stunning leather skirt using specialised leather sewing techniques that you can use on your home sewing machine. Students bring a straight skirt calico test garment (“toile”) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with leather. The skirt layout is planned, the skirt is cut and sewn using techniques which may include top stitched seams, glued seam allowance and hems, the application of rivets and the insertion of linings.
On enrolment students receive information concerning suitable patterns. Equipment requirements and leather will be discussed in the first lesson. Students should buy the leather for their project after the first lesson.
Students may also draft a personalised straight skirt pattern in class, but should allow more time than one course to finish the skirt.
This course includes:
- Review equipment and techniques used in sewing leather
- Receive a personal fitting of the skirt toile by our qualified design staff and refine the pattern for personal fit
- Plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the skirt
- Plan the vent or kick pleat as applicable
- Mark fabrics and cut out skirt
- Complete a lapped or invisible zip
- Sew skirt
- Students may continue with the course after completion of the skirt to complete a cameo top in leather
The course suits intermediate sewers. There is a maximum of 8 students per teacher, so all students have the opportunity to receive individual attention and progress at their own pace.
$385 (17.5 hours of tuition)
For more information on this course, please contact our college.