sew a leather skirt
Sew a stunning leather skirt that fits and flatters using specialised techniques adapted for your own home sewing machine. A leather skirt doesn't have to be skin-tight and a range of designs will work with this material. Faux leather has also come a long way (since the days of "pleather").
Skill Level: Intermediate
This course suits intermediate sewers. There's a maximum of eight students per teacher, so you'll receive individual attention and progress at your own pace.
Classes & Cost
Classes run for 5 sessions (3.5 hours per week) for 5 weeks.
$385 / 17.5 hours of tuition
Sew a stunning leather skirt using specialised leather sewing techniques that you can use on your home sewing machine. Students bring a straight skirt calico test garment (“toile”) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with leather. The skirt layout is planned, the skirt is cut and sewn using techniques which may include top stitched seams, glued seam allowance and hems, the application of rivets and the insertion of linings.
On enrolment students receive information concerning suitable patterns. Equipment requirements and leather will be discussed in the first lesson. Students should buy the leather for their project after the first lesson.
Students may also draft a personalised straight skirt pattern in class, but should allow more time than one course to finish the skirt.
What You'll Learn
This course includes:
- Review equipment and techniques used in sewing leather
- Receive a personal fitting of the skirt toile by our qualified design staff and refine the pattern for personal fit
- Plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the skirt
- Plan the vent or kick pleat as applicable
- Mark fabrics and cut out skirt
- Complete an exposed, lapped or invisible zip
- Sewing the skirt
- Students may continue with the course after completion of the skirt to complete a cameo top in leather.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!