Sew a Guipure Lace Skirt Using Couture Techniques
Term 1 – 29 January to 14 April 2018
Term 2 – 23 April to 7 July 2018
Term 3 – 16 July to 29 September 2018
Term 4 – 8 October to 22 December 2018
Course Session Times
This course runs for 5 sessions of 3.5 hours per week for 5 weeks.
Sessions are run on:
Tuesday mornings – 8.30am to 12pm
Wednesday afternoons – 12.30pm to 4pm
Wednesday evenings – 6pm to 9.30pm
Sew a sophisticated and stunning guipure lace skirt using applique and couture sewing techniques. Students bring a straight skirt calico test garment (“toile”) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with a lace overlay. The skirt layout is planned, the skirt is cut and sewn using couture techniques which may include interlining and applique techniques.
On enrolment, students receive information concerning suitable patterns, lace and backing materials.
Students may also draft a personalised straight skirt pattern in class, but should allow more time than one course to finish the skirt. Students may progress to sew and apply lace overlay to a cameo top and/or evening jacket to match the skirt after they have completed the skirt course.
This course includes:
- Receive a personal fitting of the skirt toile by our qualified design staff and refine the pattern for personal fit
- Assess the lace and backing fabrics and plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the skirt, interlinings, linings and lace as applicable
- Plan the vent or kick pleat as applicable
- Mark fabrics and cut out skirt
- Underline skirt if required
- Complete a hand-picked zip
- Prepare lace and sew skirt, sewing and appliqueing the lace overlay as applicable
- Students may continue with the course after completion of the skirt to complete a cameo top or evening jacket to match the skirt
The course suits intermediate sewers. There is a maximum of 8 students per teacher, so all students have the opportunity to receive individual attention and progress at their own pace.
$385 (17.5 hours of tuition)
For more information on this course, please contact our college.