Guipure Lace Skirt
Guipure lace is a gorgeous fabric that lends itself well to a fitted skirt pattern. It is constructed in such a way that each part of the lace motif has a corded border, which means that you can piece it together using applique techniques and barely see where the lace has been joined.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Using a commercial straight skirt pattern (or draft your own), you'll learn how to fit a toile (a test garment) to your exact measurements, plan the lace overlay and underlining and cut a sew your skirt using high-end couture techniques.
guipure lace skirt course details
Students bring a straight skirt calico test garment (a toile) to class made from a commercial pattern. The toile is fitted and the pattern adapted for use with a lace overlay. The skirt layout is planned, the skirt is cut and sewn using couture techniques which may include interlining and applique techniques.
Students may also draft a personalised straight skirt pattern in class, but should allow more time than one course to finish the skirt. Students may progress to sew and apply lace overlay to a cameo top and/or evening jacket to match the skirt after they have completed the skirt course.
What You'll Learn
- Receive a personal fitting of the skirt toile by our experienced teachers and refine the pattern for a personal fit
- Assess the lace and backing fabrics and plan the layout, cutting and sewing of the skirt, interlinings, linings and lace
- Plan the vent or kick pleat (if applicable)
- Mark your fabrics and cut out skirt
- Underline your skirt (if required)
- Complete a hand-picked zip
- Prepare the lace and sew the skirt, sewing and appliqueing the lace overlay.
On enrolment, students receive information concerning suitable patterns, appropriate guipure lace (and where to buy it), as well as and backing and lining materials.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!