make your own lingerie
While all garments require a good fit and appropriate finishing techniques, this is especially true of lingerie and loungewear. In this course, you'll learn the skills to draft patterns for well-fitting bras, corsets, bodysuits, camisoles, undies, night wear and wraps, together with the sewing techniques to handle the luxurious (and often tricky!) fabrics these garments are made of.
Skill Level: All
All skill levels are welcome but it is an advantage to have some basic pattern making and sewing skills before undertaking the course. Students who have not sewn before may take more time to perfect the techniques associated with lingerie.
Classes & Cost
11 weeks / 38.5 hours tuition / $825
11 weeks / 77 hours tuition / $1,595
Class times are flexible: you can choose from weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings. Some Saturday classes are also available.
Mid-term enrolments are often possible. Please contact us and we'll do our best to fit you in.
For students enrolled in the professional program, longer classes or multiple courses, discounts may apply.
make your own lingerie Course Details
The course is designed to teach pattern making and garment construction for lingerie and lounge wear. Garments completed in the course include bras and panties, body suits, corsets, camisoles, nightwear and wraps. Students who have completed the flat pattern making course may also learn to drape lingerie on a dress form.
What You'll Learn
- Pattern block for a bodice which is the starting point for lingerie development
- Pattern drafting of blocks and patterns for panties that may include a full brief, hip brief, bikini brief, thong or French nicker, bras that may include styles with and without under wires, maternity and mastectomy and a body suit
- Development of patterns for lingerie garments the student wishes to make including a corset, a basque, a bustier, a waspie, camisoles, night dresses, pyjamas and wraps
- Pattern alterations required when dealing with stretch fabrics
- Fabric and haberdashery selection for lingerie
- Stretch sewing techniques used in lingerie including the application of elastics, interlinings and laces.
- In respect of draped pattern making the course content consists of taping the dress form, preparing fabric and executing the drape and converting the drape to a pattern.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!