dressmaking: intermediate garments
When you're ready to tackle a more ambitious project and expand your sewing repertoire, having an experienced instructor on hand will help you to complete a garment to a standard you're happy with.
Skill Level: Intermediate
This sewing class is aimed at students who've progressed beyond basic skills and are wanting to learn techniques to complete quality, professional-looking garments using commercial patterns. Many students work on a dress. Ready to get started?
Classes & Cost
20 hours tuition / $395
We aim to provide as much flexibility as possibility with our dressmaking courses and offer Monday and Thursday morning classes, as well as Monday evenings classes.
Next class: 15 October, 2018
dressmaking intermediate garments course details
This dressmaking course is designed for intermediate and advanced sewers who want to learn how to fit and sew a more complex commercial pattern.
Suggested garments that students would undertake include a shirt with a collar and sleeves, a dress with sleeves, or tailored pants with pockets. This is a follow-on from the beginners’ course and basic sewing skills are assumed for these courses.
what you'll learn
- Quality equipment selection
- Haberdashery requirements for sewing
- Appropriate fabric selection
- Pattern styles for figure types
- What correct garment fit entails
- Fabric pre-shrinking, layout and pattern making/cutting
- Machine treading and bobbin winding
- Advanced sewing techniques including:
- zippers, including invisible zips
- ease stitching and gathering
- button holes
- hand finishing and hand hemming
Please feel free to email or call us on 02 9449 1450 and we'd be happy to provide more information or tailor a program for you.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!