dressmaking: intermediate garments
When you're ready to tackle a more ambitious project and expand your sewing repertoire, having an experienced instructor on hand will help you to complete a garment to a standard you're happy with.
Skill Level: Intermediate
This sewing class is aimed at students who've progressed beyond basic skills and are wanting to learn techniques to complete quality, professional-looking garments using commercial patterns. Many students work on a dress. Ready to get started?
Classes & Cost
20 hours tuition / $395
We aim to provide as much flexibility as possibility with our dressmaking courses and offer Monday and Thursday morning classes, as well as Monday evenings classes.
what you'll learn
- Quality equipment selection
- Haberdashery requirements for sewing
- Appropriate fabric selection
- Pattern styles for figure types
- What correct garment fit entails
- Fabric pre-shrinking, layout and pattern making/cutting
- Machine treading and bobbin winding
- Advanced sewing techniques including:
- zippers, including invisible zips
- ease stitching and gathering
- button holes
- hand finishing and hand hemming
This dressmaking course is designed for intermediate and advanced sewers who want to learn how to fit and sew a more complex commercial pattern.
Suggested garments that students would undertake include a shirt with a collar and sleeves, a dress with sleeves, or tailored pants with pockets. This is a follow-on from the beginners’ course and basic sewing skills are assumed for these workshops.
Please feel free to email or call us on 02 9449 1450 and we'd be happy to provide more information or tailor a program for you.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!