dressmaking basic garments
Sewing looks more complex than it actually is – at least when you're starting out and have simple garments in mind. An experienced instructor will teach you the skills to start sewing basic clothes. Ready to get started?
Skill Level: Beginner
This dressmaking course is designed for beginners and intermediate sewers. Choose a simple pattern – perhaps a pair of drawstring pants – and our instructors will teach you all you need to know to make them. This class is also ideal for students undertaking the HSC who would like to learn sewing skills to apply to their major work.
Classes & Cost
20 hours tuition / $395
We aim to provide as much flexibility as possibility with our dressmaking courses and offer Monday and Thursday morning classes, as well as Monday evenings classes.
Next class: 15 October, 2018
dressmaking basic garments Course Details
- Quality equipment selection
- Haberdashery requirements for sewing
- Appropriate fabric selection
- Pattern styles for figure types
- What correct garment fit entails
- Interpretation of pattern envelope information
- Taking body measurements and determining basic pattern making alterations for personal fit
- Understanding pattern instructions on the paper pattern and the instruction leaflet
- Fabric pre-shrinking, layout and pattern making/cutting
- Machine treading and bobbin winding
- Basic sewing techniques including:
- a straight seam
- a curved seam
- completing corners
- finish seam edges on a sewing machine or overlocker
- use of interfacing
- stay stitching
- use of interfacing
- pressing techniques
- machine hemming
- Demonstration of sewing techniques applicable to individual dressmaking projects will also be undertaken and may include techniques required to complete:
- zippers (including invisible zips)
- hand finishes (including hemming).
What You'll Learn
This dressmaking course is designed for beginner and intermediate sewers who want to learn how to fit and sew a commercial pattern. It is ideal for students undertaking the HSC who would like to learn sewing skills that can be applied to their major work.
The dressmaking classes are run in an informal format at our Sydney college, and students are invited to observe techniques that apply to each other’s garments. Students complete a basic garment during the course. Our students work at their own pace during the classes, so on average, students will complete one to two garments during the course. The types of garments recommended are skirts, simple pants patterns and sleeveless dresses made from woven fabrics.
Students will need to purchase a commercial pattern and fabric for these classes. Advice concerning the type of commercial pattern and information on fabric selection will be supplied upon enrolment in the course.
Students may bring their own sewing machines to classes but this is not mandatory. Sewing equipment required for this course may be ordered through our Sydney college.
Please feel free to email or call us on 02 9449 1450 and we'd be happy to provide more information or tailor a program for you.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!