evening & Bridal wear: draped patterns
The course is designed for designers, dressmakers and home sewers who want to make complex garments using draped pattern making. The course teaches advanced Haute Couture techniques that are best rendered by draping fabric over a dress form.
Skill Level: advanced
The European method of pattern draping is taught and the course Draped Pattern Making and Garment Construction is a prerequisite.
Classes & Cost
11 weeks / 38.5 hours tuition / $825
Class times are flexible: you can choose from weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings. Some Saturday classes are also available.
Mid-term enrolments are often possible. Please contact us and we'll do our best to fit you in.
For students enrolled in the professional program, longer classes or multiple courses, discounts may apply.
The course teaches how to plan and execute a garment from pattern making to construction and includes the use of underpinnings, linings and interlinings. The European method of pattern draping is taught and the course Draped Pattern Making and Garment Construction is a prerequisite.
The Couture Embroidery course taken in conjunction with this course is recommended for those wanting to produce custom made evening and bridal attire.
What You''ll Learn
- Overview of construction processes used in evening wear design that need to be planned when draping garments
- The optimal combination of draped and flat pattern making techniques to achieve garment design
- Underpinnings and support garments used to drape evening wear
- Design preparation, seam and pattern construction planning for finishes
- Sample of draped techniques to achieve a cascade drape, a Sunray pleated drape, a Gathered drape, a Bandage drape, knots and twists and a Strain grain drape
- Draping to create a strapless design or corset
- Creation of samples of finished evening wear using couture construction methods.
There's nothing we love more than to see our students work in progress or finished creations!