SEWING CLASSES SYDNEY | FASHION DESIGN COURSES
CREATE A PERSONAL DRESS FORM
Term 1 – 30 January to 15 April 2017
Term 2 – 18 April to 1 July 2017
Term 3 – 17 July to 30 September 2017
Term 4 – 3 October to 16 December 2017
Mid-term enrolments may be available. Please contact the college for further information.
Course Session Times
This course runs for 3.5 hours per week for 11 weeks for a total of 38.5 hours.
Sessions are run on:
Wednesday afternoons – 12.30pm to 4pm
Tuesday and Wednesday evenings – 6pm to 9.30pm
This course in designed for home sewers and dressmakers who would like a dress form that conforms to their measurements and body type. A calico bodice is made that is fitted to the student so that they can pad a dress form to conform to their measurements. A purchased dress form is used and either a purchased padding kit, available from the college, or wadding is used to make the dress form conform to the calico bodice.
Guidelines for center back, center front and the waist are then added to assist with fitting. This produces a dress form similar to those used in couture houses for their clients. A pattern is also provided, and if time permits, the student can make soft arms for their dress form so they can assess the fit of garments with sleeves. The time taken to pad a dummy varies considerably depending on how different the dress form measurements are to those of the student.
This course includes:
- Pattern drafting of a bodice pattern for each student
- Making a calico sample of the bodice
- Contouring the bodice sample to fit the student and adjusting the pattern
- Assessing the dress form and formulating the best strategy to achieve the padded form
- Using a kit or wadding to increase the measurement of the dress form
- Covering the dress form with a compression layer made to the bodice draft
- Covering the dress form with a calico layer made to the bodice draft
- Attaching guidelines for fitting to the dress form
- Cutting out and sewing the arm pattern
The course suits intermediate sewers. There is a maximum of 8 students per session, so all students have the opportunity to receive individual attention and progress at their own pace.