SEWING WORKSHOPS SYDNEY | FASHION DESIGN SHORT COURSES
CREATE A PERSONAL DRESS FORM
22 to 26 JANUARY
This course is designed for home sewers and dressmakers who would like a dress form that conforms to their measurements and body type. A calico bodice that is fitted to the student is made, so that they can pad a dress form to conform to their measurements. A purchased dress form is used and either a purchased padding kit (available from the college) or wadding is used to make the dress form conform to the calico bodice. Guidelines for centre back, centre front and the waist are then added to assist with fitting. This produces a dress form similar to those used in couture houses for their clients.
A pattern is also provided, and if time permits, the student can make soft arms for their dress form so they can assess the fit of garments with sleeves. The time taken to pad a dummy varies considerably depending on how different the dress form measurements are to those of the student. This course is adapted to the student depending on the work required to obtain a good fit and more work will be provided for students that finish early.
This course includes:
- Pattern drafting of a bodice pattern for each student
- Making a calico sample of the bodice
- Contouring the bodice sample to fit the student and adjusting the pattern
- Assessing the dress form and formulating the best strategy to achieve the padded form
- Using a kit or wadding to increase the measurement of the dress form
- Covering the dress form with a compression layer made to the bodice draft
- Covering the dress form with a calico layer made to the bodice draft
- Attaching guidelines for fitting to the dress form
- Cutting out and sewing the arm pattern
35 hours over 5 days
** This course is also run as part of our sewing program as a half-day or evening course during term (38.5 hours) **
$750 (35 hours of tuition)
(Dress form and padding costs are extra and will be discussed on an individual basis)
For more information on this course, please contact our college.