Sessions are run on Wednesday Evenings, from 6pm to 9.30pm.
Term 1 – 30 January – 15 April 2017
Term 2 – 18 April – 1 July 2017
Term 3 – 17 July – 30 September 2017
Term 4 – 3 October – 16 December 2017
Students will craft bespoke pants or trousers using traditional hand techniques to create a beautifully fitted garment made to each student’s measurements.
At the end of the course, each student will get to keep their own bespoke pants or trousers and pattern(*).
This individualised pattern can be used to make further pants or trousers.
The course will concentrate on a pants or trousers style and silhouette chosen by the student. It involves machine and hand construction techniques, fitting
of the pants or trousers to the individual in various construction stages, and changes to the pattern as a result of the fitting process.
Basic sewing skills are needed but no knowledge of pattern making is required.
(*) Please note it may require more than one term to finish the bespoke pants or trousers, this depends on the ability and application of each student. Sewers should be at an intermediate level to obtain the most benefit from the course. Students who wish to take more time to complete their project may continue the course in the following term.
- Body and posture measurements and how to take them.
- Manipulation of a pants or trouser pattern to body measurement and posture.
- Analysis of the features of a well fitted and constructed pants or trousers.
- Construction and basting of pants or trousers to
- Analyse first fitting on body for balance issues, mark any changes.
- Rip pants down to individual pattern and remark any changes on paper pattern and fabric.
- Construct pants or trousers to second fitting. Analyse second fitting on body for fit to body, adjust for style issues and student’s design wishes.
- Remark any changes on paper pattern and alter pants or trousers to changes from second fitting. Third fitting, final check to see if fit and style of pants or trousers is satisfactory to student, minor changes.
- Hand finish pants or trousers, using hand top stitching, hand worked button holes before final pressing.
Tuition Fee: $770 per term
Kit fee: TBA
The kit includes a tailor’s ham, tape measure, chalk, tailor’s needle, tailor’s thimble, seam ripper, pocket fabric, lining, canvas, melton (pre-made collar), button hole silk and shoulder pads.
Fabric & Matching Cotton: Available for order through the college.
The quality of fabric is paramount for a good finish. Italian wool fabric samples will be provided on the first evening and the quality and weight of fabric required will be discussed. Students should allow for the cost of approximately 2.2 metres of quality wool fabric. An order will be placed for students wishing to purchase fabric through the college. Students are advised not to purchase fabric until after attending the first class.