Our childrenswear design courses in Sydney cater to students who want to become experts in this emerging market or simply would like to make beautiful clothes for their own children. Kidswear is not just a by-product of adult fashion anymore – elite fashion houses launch collections with a special focus on fun, modernism and recreating the vibes of childhood. Students will approach kidswear as a specific market and observe its design principles, themes, choice of prints and much more.
Childrenswear Pattern Making and Garment Construction
The recommended course may include:
- Pattern making a basic block for a skirt, bodice & pants for children in a range of sizes
- Design variations including pleating, circle skirts, flaring, panel skirts, gathering and variations applied to childrenswear
- Pattern making a basic bodice block
- Bodice variations including necklines, gathering, pleating, and colour blocking for design variation
- Pattern making for necklines, collars and sleeves
- Sewing techniques for hems, necklines, applique and pattern matching
- Fabrics and colour selection
- Overlocker workshop to learn quick sewing techniques and master stretch sewing
- Portfolio of completed garments with master blocks for different age groups
- Regulatory requirements for the labelling and selling of childrenswear
Learning is self-paced however a student attending full-time for two terms could reasonably expect to cover the entire program.
The courses run over four terms a year each of 11 weeks. During the term, full-time students attend three days per week for 7 tuition hours a day from 8.30am to 4pm. A short course program may extend over a number of terms depending on the short course content.
Part-time students may attend for 3.5, 7, 10.5, 14 or 17.5 hours per week during the term. They may attend the course on a weekday, in the evening or on a Saturday. A short course program may extend over a number of terms depending on the course content and student attendance pattern.
Students are taught individually or in small groups in a face-to-face environment equipped with specialised pattern making and computerised equipment. Students are allowed the flexibility of study at their own pace and will be offered extra and more specialised tuition in areas they find difficult. Students will receive advice on their progress at the end of each term. To learn more about the childrenswear design course offered at our Sydney campus, please contact the college.
Enrolments are currently being taken for 2017.
Term 1 – 30 January to 15 April 2017
Term 2 – 18 April to 1 July 2017
Term 3 – 17 July to 30 September 2017
Term 4 – 3 October to 16 December 2017
Mid-term enrolments may be available. Please contact the college for further information.
Day – Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday
Evening – Wednesday, Thursday